Wednesday 20 January 2010

The beginning...

Having graduated from an English Literature Degree last summer, I am saddened by the loss of a regular slot to discuss books of every kind. Therefore despite viewing everything "new" with extreme suspicion, I have decided to jump on the blogging bandwagon, and have a go at creating some sort of discussion forum. Bear with me because I have no idea how this blogging lark works, but I'm hoping other people will be able to comment on my posts (?!) therefore creating a discussion-type environment, rather than one in which I lecture everybody about what I think.

Please let me know if this is something you'd be interested in.

Theb00kbl0g x

2 comments:

  1. Dearest B00kbl0g, although fortunately I have plenty of opportunity to discuss books these days, I miss discussing them with you so I shall follow you and your views because, quite frankly, you were the best guest I ever had on The Bookclub! What are you reading at the moment? I've just started Elizabeth Gaskell's North and South x x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. How far have you gotten with North and South? I remember a rather unfortunate relationship with book - physically, because I managed to get it waterlogged having read about three chapters, so the book was always twice it's intended size; and intellectually. Perhaps I'm just not that interested in North/South class politics of the industrial revolution, but there was almost too much melodrama for my liking. I got the same feeling I did reading Frankenstein - there's a constant expectation that someone else will die, and getting somewhat desensitized by the end. However, if I put some effort into it, I'm sure I'd muster a true appreciation for the way in which a love and care between human beings is represented. Instead of endless satirical jibes at social caricatures, Elizabeth Gaskell demonstrates the hardship of attempting social change through relationships in the midst of what appear to be unchanging class mindsets.
    (I hope I haven't ranted too much, dear b00kbl0g!)

    ReplyDelete